Dean & Deluca

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Borough Market: take 2 and 3 and....

Nothing can keep me away. I even walked to the market by myself last Friday without any sort of map or online route finder -- which was an experience within itself as I somehow wound up on a highway that was by no means pedestrian-friendly. Following vacated sidewalks and construction signs, I stumbled upon a building of King's College. Nice campus you've got there...

The most outrageous part about Borough Market is that I seem to go almost daily (that's not outrageous, that's just to be expected), and I still discover entirely new worlds of food with each visit. For instance, this empanada stand must have sprouted out of the ground since my last visit. And with the variety of fillings, you can try something new each time, and I plan to.

I somehow found yet another sausage station, but this one was cooking up something different.
I think I ordered the wild boar sausage, but I honestly couldn't tell you with certainty. There were so many options, and, when it came to ordering, everyone else seemed like an exotic sausage veteran, so I just became overwhelmed. I was so clueless that when it finally came time for me to order, I simply pointed to the one that looked the best on the grill. Whatever it was, it was the right choice.

But if you're in the mood for something a bit more familiar, then the Borough's got you covered.
Yes, that is a mountain behind that man's elbow, and yes, it is made up of cheese. This station is all about toasted sandwiches stuffed with nothing but layers and layers of shredded cheese. They will also make you a plate of potatoes coated in their melted cheese, but they seem to do it in the most inefficient, labor intensive way. These large, metal heaters are installed, inside which the master chefs and cheese carvers place half of a giant wheel of cheese. After the heater has melted and browned the flattened part of the cheese wheel, the entire cheese wheel is taken out of the heater, and the melted edges are scraped off and onto your potatoes.

And if you like oils, look at this keg lineup. It's like the frat party of olive oils.
You can taste, choose, and bottle up whichever flavors you like. Or, if you're in the mood for something sweet, make your way over to meringue heaven:
Or, my personal favorite which I can never seem to pass up, the chocolate-covered nut and dried fruit bar.
This station pours chocolate over everything from hazelnuts to dried bananas. They recently added a new milk-chocolate-covered honeycomb to their selection which is superb, but my favorite is still their chocolate covered almonds dusted with cinnamon. The best combination is getting a scoop of these bad boys in the same bag as another chocolate-covered treat. Then, you shake the bag so the cinnamon dusts everything with its bittersweet goodness.

Then, Cameron and I ran into these mega frying pans filled with different curries. 
The curries had brilliant color and smelled incredible, but after viewing it neighbors, I think curry may be the one food we will never try.
Hanging next to these oversized pans were freshly killed (I'm assuming fresh, but it's hard to tell these days) rabbits. They were bloody, covered with flies, and tourists still insisted on taking pictures with them. One man even went up and touched one in order to really make a memory. As Cameron is not only a huge fan of bunnies but also a vegetarian, we left the scene immediately to go get her a drink, and boy did we find it.
The market had a huge selection of wines in addition to an even larger selection of beers. The beers were arranged by country, and some had really beautiful bottles that resembled champagne. Many of them were also flavored, and Cameron picked out a bottle of raspberry beer.
But if you haven't yet acclimated to the British culture of starting your alcohol consumption at noon, you can make your way over to the Natural Smoothie Company's booth for some freshly squeezed smoothies and juices.
 Aaah, the delicious taste of success. Again.

1 comment:

  1. What fun, you are certainly sampling exotic foods. You and Cameron are fearless!

    ReplyDelete