Dean & Deluca

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Della Palma: Gelato di Roma

Over 100 flavors of gelato are flaunted in a glass case covering over half the perimeter of a room that's about three times the size of an average gelateria -- Baskin Robbins, eat your heart out. 

I stood at the doorway, frozen from sensory overload, devising my plan of attack in this gelato/ candy store that bore a striking resemblance to a Disney World gift shop.

My strategizing failed to get me very far because, after I had finally decided on where to stand in line, it took me ten more minutes to realize that there was, in fact, no line. After a moment of internal panic (and another 10 minutes) I discovered the following: first pay at register, then collect sweet treat. Why is it always the case that it's in critical times such as this that we misunderstand the instructions.

By my calculations, I was now about 30 minutes into my first experience at Della Palma and yet still had no gelato.
Golden ticket in hand (my receipt), I had gained the confidence I needed to approach the hoard of sweet-tooth-driven tourists who crowded the opulent display case. The flavors ranged from the classic stracciatella to some more artfully crafted combinations like this wonderful gelato interpretation of chocolate covered strawberries.

If you remember nothing else about Della Palma, remember this: All's fair in love and war. Be aggressive or forever be senza gelato. You must be willing to force, jab, and kick your way into that mob at all costs. Keep in mind how it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission. Breaststroking your body to the front of the crowd with a simple "scusi" will do.

With the success of acquiring my long-awaited and well-deserved two scoops, I walked out onto the streets of Rome to chow down. I had a difficult time detecting the flavor through the thick cream of the frozen treat -- perhaps because one of the flavors was "crema." I chose "nutella" for my second scoop. Both were so overpoweringly rich in cream that I almost had trouble finishing off my cone.

If you're looking for options -- as well as a moment of heightened blood pressure -- then Della Palma is definitely your scene. Otherwise, I recommend wandering around the streets of this area a little more and finding one of the smaller mom-and-pop gelaterias. 

Because let's be honest -- when in Rome, who needs the stress?


Gelateria Della Palma, Rome

via della Maddalena, 20/23, Rome 00186  



Phone +39 066 880 6752
Hours: Mon. - Sat. 8am-1:30am

2 comments: