Dean & Deluca

Thursday, September 16, 2010

The King of Clubs

Are you ready for a throwdown? Well, Lynn Archer was when she beat Bobby Flay on his Food Network competition series Throwdown with Bobby Flay, and I sure was when I heard the news.


When I visited the Brass Compass Café in Rockland, Maine, I didn’t even open the menu.  I simply ordered the famous dish, unbuttoned my pants and braced myself.



The King of Clubs is a lobster BLT with 1 ¼-lbs. cooked Maine lobster meat mixed with “just enough [mayo] to hold the lobster meat together.” I was holding all of Maine’s glory within three slices of bread, and the most miraculous part? – not simply the lobster, but rather the BLT-ingredient synergism.

In Maine, it’s hard to stack up to the glorious empire of its beloved shell fish, but with some magical twist of BLT fate, each ingredient held its own – so much so, in fact, that I feel it is degrading to abbreviate them. With each bite there was the buttery toasted bread, the fresh tomato slices, the crunchy lettuce leaves, and the thick slabs of bacon all proudly standing next to, not accompanying, the succulent lobster meat.

From this day forward, any ordinary sandwich can be called a BLT, but at the Brass Compass Café, I dub thee a Lobster Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato sandwich.


Brass Compass Café
305 Main Street
Rockland, ME 04841-3303
(207) 596-5960

1 comment:

  1. You draw such a vivid picture, one can almost taste the Lobster Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato sandwich.

    ReplyDelete